Monday, 6 February 2012

It’s a scouting mission for cub leader Ruth

A Walton cub leader is to embark on an adventure of a lifetime by dog sledding through Sweden in a charity challenge for Surrey Air Ambulance.

Ruth Warden will set off on her week-long expedition next month and will be guiding her own team of huskies through 200kms of snow-covered forests and mountains.

At night she will use her scouting skills to set up camp near traditional Sami villages, chop wood to make fires and cook her own food.

The 40-year-old will also get the chance to see the magnificent Northern Lights and elk and reindeer in their natural environment.

She said: "It's been my dream to see the Northern Lights and it would make my day if I'm lucky enough got to see them.

"I'm really looking forward to looking after the huskies and I'll be making fires so I can melt the snow to provide water for myself and the dogs.

"I've heard the dogs make a racket in the morning so I'll definitely be taking ear plugs. I hate the cold and I'm scared of speed but I'm determined to complete the challenge.

"I've been going to regular boot camps to get my general fitness up and on long hikes to build up my endurance."

Ruth is a cub leader for 9th Walton Air Scouts who have been busy packing supermarket bags in return for donations to boost her fundraising ahead of the trip on March 25th.

She was inspired to raise funds for Surrey Air Ambulance after a local postman was rescued by the helicopter and is aiming to raise £4,150 for the life-saving charity.

If you would like to sponsor her text Sled71, followed by the amount to 70070 or go to http://www.justgiving.com/Ruth-Warden.

No comments:

Post a Comment