Monday, 23 April 2012

Vinnie Jones helps save a life

Photo: L-R B&CE customer services executive Vicky Allen, Bob Taylor and Sussex Air Ambulance critical care paramedic David Wright  

TV hardman Vinnie Jones helped save the life of a Crawley businessman after a first aider followed the star’s Stayin’ Alive advert for resuscitation.

The ex-Wimbledon footballer, 47, plays a gangster performing chest compressions in time to the Bee Gees hit in an advert for the British Heart Foundation.

Just three weeks after it was first shown, Bob Taylor, 54, was at work at B&CE Benefit Schemes in Manor Royal when he suffered a cardiac arrest.

Colleague and trained first aider Vicky Alllen carried out chest compressions based on the TV ad before paramedics and clinicians from the South East Coast Ambulance Service (SECAmb) arrived.

They battled for half an hour to successfully resuscitate Bob before the Sussex Air Ambulance arrived.

Dr Magnus Nelson and critical care paramedic David Wright then anaesthetized Bob in his office – a skill usually performed in A&E – before taking him to the Royal Sussex County Hospital at Brighton.

Bob spent four days at the hospital’s intensive care unit before he was allowed home and is now back at work.

Vicky said: “The Vinnie Jones advert was very good at re-affirming what you are doing for someone in that situation.

“It certainly stuck in my head, the rhythm and speed of the compressions, and I was quite pleased that I had something from recent memory to fall back on. I just went into auto mode.

“I have never done anything like this before and it was quite a traumatic experience. The worst I’ve had to deal with before is cut fingers and nosebleeds.

“I’m just so happy that it was a really good outcome and I’m proud that I was able to make a difference to someone’s life. It’s so important to think that I have given someone a chance.”

Bob added: “I don’t remember anything about what happened at all that day. I don’t even remember being in the office that morning.

“I had been staying in a local hotel the night before and wasn’t feeling particularly well. I was still feeling a bit ill the next morning and my colleague suggested that I didn’t go to work.

“I still went into the office and it’s fortunate that I did because there were other people around me including the trained first aider.

“I sat in my chair and the next minute I collapsed. I owe my life to Vicky; there is no other way of putting it.”

Bob was reunited with Vicky and David for the first time last week as staff at B&CE presented a cheque for £1,000 to Sussex Air Ambulance - a life-saving charity which relies almost entirely on donations.

David told them: “The money you have raised will potentially help save another life and we are really grateful for that. When someone suffers a cardiac arrest, it is all about the ‘chain of survival’.

“Vicky did a fantastic job and was probably the most important link in the chain, followed by the ambulance service and then ourselves. We were a small part of that chain and the whole team ethos is very important.”

The British Heart Foundation said it had 15 confirmed reports of successful heart attack treatment based on the TV advert since it was first shown on January 6th. Only 10 per cent of British cardiac arrest victims survive to leave hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment