Monday, 17 September 2012

Joe's fun day keeps Air Ambulance flying

A schoolboy was reunited with the Surrey Air Ambulance pilot who flew to his rescue after a cycling accident as his family donated more than £5,000 to the life-saving charity.

Joe Goodchild, 15, from Walton, suffered a fractured skull and was in cardiac arrest after he collided with a car around the corner from where he lives.

He was given vital first aid by passer-by Carly Hall before paramedics Jim Laidlaw and Helen Ellison gave him emergency treatment and called in the helicopter.

Air Ambulance doctor Anthony Hudson and paramedic Natalie Brodrick anaesthetised Joe and carried out chest surgery at the road-side – skills usually performed in hospital.

They successfully resuscitated him before Chief Pilot, Captain Steve Wood, airlifted him to the Royal London Hospital in just 10 minutes – a journey that would have taken almost an hour by road.

The teenager spent three-and-a-half weeks in hospital following the accident in August last year but has since made an almost full recovery.

Last week, (September 13th), he was reunited with Steve, Carly and her husband Neil as his family presented a cheque for £5,544 to the charity which relies almost entirely on donations.

The funds were raised from a Family Fun Day at Reeds Rugby Club in Whiteley Village and included live music, a hog roast, balloon race, funfair, face painting and many other stalls.

Joe’s mum Suzi said: “We just want to say a big thank you to all the people who have supported us by giving their time and funds and coming along on the day.”

Members of Walton Rotary Club were so touched by Joe’s story that they kindly pledged a further £1,000, making the grand total almost £7,000.

Each call-out of the helicopter costs about £2,500 so the sum raised will fund three potentially life-saving missions.

Joe’s sister Bex is now planning to raise more money for the Air Ambulance from a Rag Week at Rydens Enterprise School where she, sister Zoe and Joe are all pupils.

1 comment: