Tuesday, 28 May 2013

Survivor's father joins charity bike ride

A Bletchingley father whose son was airlifted to hospital after a road accident is gearing up for a 100km charity bike ride in aid of Kent, Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance.

Ben Alston, 8, was on holiday in Devon when he ran across a road and was pulled under a double decker bus.

He was flown to Derriford Hospital in Plymouth in a critical condition but has since made a full recovery following the accident in 2011.

His father David, 58, has now signed up for his local Air Ambulance’s Double 100 Cycle Challenge on June 23rd.

The 100-mile or 100km ride starts and finishes at the helicopter base at Redhill Aerodrome and cyclists can still enter the fundraising event.

David said: “Ben was saved by an Air Ambulance in addition to all the other emergency services involved and I want to raise funds so that it can help people in the future.

“People may not think about the Air Ambulance until they need them, as in our case, and I want to help promote the service by doing the Double 100.

“I work outside as a landscape gardener so I’m fairly fit and I’ve done the London to Brighton bike ride but that was about 10 years ago.

“I had keyhole surgery on my knee only six weeks ago so I’ve only been able to get out on my bike for about four training rides since then.”

The Double 100 is open to regular and occasional cyclists with feeding stations along the routes.

To register go to www.kssairambulance.org.uk/FundRaising/Double100CycleChallenge .

This year’s ride has kindly been sponsored by Howard Cundey Chartered Surveyors and Estate Agents, Asda, Warburtons and Wellbeing People. For more information call Julie Clare on 01622 833833 or email juliec@kssairambulance.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment