Monday, 23 September 2013

Early birthday present for lottery winner

A Cuckfield pensioner was given an early birthday present when he won £11,000 in Kent, Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance’s lottery.

Anthony Hawkins celebrates his 73rd birthday next week after scooping the jackpot in the life-saving charity’s Superdraw.

The keen golfer and horse racing fan joined the fundraising lottery last summer and his lucky numbers 3, 13, 19 and 30 came up in Wednesday’s draw.

He said: “I was thunder-struck because the last time I can remember winning anything was a box of biscuits in a raffle when I was in the Scouts and that was 60 years ago.

“I’ve dabbled in playing the National Lottery for the last 15 years but never won a sausage. I’ve been doing the Air Ambulance lottery for only a year and now I’m a winner.

“I’m surprised more than anything, not shocked because someone has to win it, but it’s amazing that it’s me.

“It’s a timely win because I’ve just had some repairs done on the roof of the house and instead of coming out of my retirement income, it can now come out of my winnings.”

Kent, Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance’s regular lottery costs just £1 a week with 12 weekly winners of amounts ranging from £25 to £1,000.

For an extra £1 a week, players can join the Superdraw which has a maximum jackpot of £25,000 – a life-changing amount. To join the lottery call 01622 833833 or go to www.kssairambulance.org.uk.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment