Tuesday, 8 April 2014

Doctor helps saves lives by running marathon

Photo: Dr Bhanderi pictured second from right at the Air Ambulance base

A Kent, Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance doctor is to run next month’s Brighton Marathon to raise funds for the life-saving charity.

Neel Bhanderi, 33, will be swapping his stethoscope for running shoes as he aims to complete his first-ever 26-mile run.

The father-of-one has previously completed the Shaftesbury half marathon in Dorset and has also climbed Mount Kilimanjaro.

Neel has been pounding the streets four times a week in training in between 12-hour shifts at the helicopter base at Marden.

He said: “I’m not a long distance runner so I thought I would challenge myself to a half marathon a couple of years ago.

“Last year I didn’t do any marathons because of exams and I’ve just finished my air ambulance training this year so I’ve set myself the challenge of doing a full marathon.

“I’m not really looking to run it in a fast time, I just want to finish it, but it will be great if I can do it in four hours.

“I’ve been training for the last six months and I’m up to about 21 miles now. I’m really looking forward to it and it will be a big achievement if I complete it.”

Neel joined the Air Ambulance last year on a one-year secondment and has previously worked at a number of hospital emergency departments.

No comments:

Post a Comment