Wednesday, 16 April 2014

Survivor reunited with life-saver

Photo: Air Ambulance doctor Steph Tilston, Pilot, Captain Kevin Goddard, Trevor McBean, his fiancée and children

A tree surgeon who survived a 40ft fall from a cherry picker has been reunited with the Kent, Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance doctor who went to his aid, as he vowed to raise funds for the charity.

Father-of-two Trevor McBean, from Staplehurst, was monitoring power lines on the A21 at Lamberhurst when the elevated platform he was working on tipped over.

The 38-year-old subcontractor was sent crashing through a clump of trees which luckily broke his fall but he still suffered a fractured skull and broken wrist.

Trevor was taken to a specialist London hospital where he remained for two weeks and has since made a good recovery. He is now planning a tandem skydive to raise funds for the charity helicopter.

He said: “We set up the cherry picker on even ground and had all the stabilizers down but one of them was at an angle to the others.

“When I swung round to work, it un-balanced all the legs and I slipped off. I was working with three other guys and two of them were on the ground.

“The guy that was working with me was about 50 yards away and he saw it happen but there was nothing he could do. I came down and went through a clump of trees which broke my fall.”

South East Coast Ambulance Service (SECAmb) were first on scene to treat Mr McBean before the Air Ambulance arrived.

Clinical Team Leader Laurence Sopp, Emergency Care Support Worker Alexander Harley and Ambulance Technician Timothy Greagsby were later joined by SECAmb’s Hazardous Area Response Team (HART).

The Air Ambulance’s doctor, Steph Tilston, helped sedate Trevor at the scene before taking him to King’s College Hospital in London where scans showed he had potentially fatal bleeding on the brain.

He remained in hospital for three weeks before he was finally allowed back home where he lives with his fiancé and two children.

The family recently visited the nearby helicopter base at Marden to meet Dr Tilston for the first time since his accident as Trevor prepares for his skydive on May 30th – his 39th birthday.

He added: “I’m quite excited about it but I’ll probably be more nervous when I get on the plane on the way up.”

* If you would like to sponsor Trevor go to  where he has so far raised £235.

No comments:

Post a Comment