Monday, 21 July 2014

Air Ambulance team run London 10k

Photo 1: L-R, Dr Glinska and Paramedic Sloane Phillips pictured on The Mall

Photo 2: L-R, Gemma Simmons, Terry Simmons and Lauren Elphick

Photo 3: L-R, Martin and Sloane Phillips

A Kent, Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance doctor who was crippled by back problems completed her road to recovery when she ran the London 10k to raise funds for the life-saving charity.

Hania Glinska, 37, was left unable to walk and needed emergency surgery six years ago after suffering a prolapsed disc. It took a year before she could walk again normally and she eventually started running again two years ago.

And on Sunday (July 13th), she successfully completed only her second 10k run as she pounded the streets of the capital in 1hr,12mins.

She said: “This run was very important to me on many levels and I felt very proud to support a charity with such a good cause, it gave me immense confidence regarding my personal life.

“I thought I would never be able to do all those fun things like hiking, snowboarding and dancing that I had been used to and I wanted to prove to myself that I had recovered enough to enjoy an active life.”

Dr Glinska crossed the finish line with her colleague, Paramedic Sloane Phillips and her husband Martin, from Hastings.

Sloane said: "I had such a great day and the atmosphere and crowds were amazing. Crossing the finish line was fantastic and I was really pleased with my time and overall place which was a personal best. It was a great experience."

The air ambulance team also included Operational Support Manager Gary Wareham, from Chatham, and Collection Box Co-Ordinator Lauren Elphick.

Lauren, from Maidstone, ran the race with partner Terry Simmons and his sister Gemma and crossed the finish line in 1hr,3mins. They raised almost £500 for the air ambulance which relies almost entirely on donations.

She said: “The atmosphere was amazing and so many people were cheering us on and keeping us going. I never thought I would be able to run a 10k as I’ve only ever run a 5k before.”

No comments:

Post a Comment