Tuesday, 1 July 2014

Martin lands £5,000 Air Ambulance raffle prize

Photos, L-R: Air Ambulance doctor Hanja Glinska, Mid-Summer Draw winner Martin Young and Critical Care Paramedic Richard de Coverly pictured at the Air Ambulance base at Marden.

 

A Maidstone businessman popped open a bottle of champagne as he celebrated winning the top prize of £5,000 in Kent, Surrey and Sussex Air Ambulance’s Mid-Summer Draw.

 

Business consultant Martin Young, 53, was given a tour of the helicopter base at Marden yesterday (Monday) as he picked up his cheque from the doctor and paramedic.

 

He was already a longstanding supporter of the life-saving charity when he bought £20 worth of tickets for the June 19th draw and also made a £10 donation.

 

Martin was delighted when his winning ticket was picked by Pilot Captain Kevin Goddard and kindly donated £500 back to the emergency service which relies almost entirely on public support.

 

He said: “I was really shocked and very appreciative having not won anything before. It came as a very pleasant surprise.

 

“I was intrigued because the night before I found out I’d won I had a message from the Air Ambulance and I thought I’d won a soft toy, but not £5,000.

 

“I didn’t even know what the first prize was, I just bought the tickets not thinking I was going to win but it will help pay off a chunk of my mortgage.

 

“I play cricket and I often see the helicopter flying overhead when I’m standing in the middle of a field, always wondering where they’re going to. I also do a lot of miles in my job and I know how many car accidents the helicopter is called to.”

 

Mr R Prebble, from Ashford, Kent, won the second prize of £1,000 while Miss M Powell from Egham won the third prize of £250.

 

Five further runner-up prizes of £50 went to Ms Hayes (Dorking), Mrs S Day (Knighton), Mrs M Holme (Aylesford), Mrs J Samson (Horley) and Mrs J Wright (Uckfield).

 

This year’s draw raised a grand total of £188,324 in ticket sales and donations for Kent, Surrey and Sussex Air Ambulance.

 

Head of Donations and Membership Katie Eeles said: “People like Martin make it possible for us to continue to provide this life-saving service as we rely on donations and fundraising to enable us to pay for our helicopter, crew, medical equipment, supplies and training – everything that is needed to take an A&E service to those who need it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment