Tuesday, 2 September 2014

50th birthday wing walk for air ambulance

Photo: Julie Wells pictured doing her wing walk for Kent, Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance

A Bethersden woman celebrated her 50th birthday with a wing-walk for Kent, Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance and raised more than £1,000 for the life-saving charity.

Julie Wells was watched by family and friends as she performed the daredevil stunt at Headcorn Aerodrome last month.

Strapped into a chair on an aerobatic biplane, she was airborne for 10 minutes as the pilot completed a number of manoeuvres including climbs and low passes at speeds of up to 130mph.

She said: “It was totally exhilarating and I felt completely secure and was able to wave to everyone on the ground, although the force of the air was surprisingly strong.

“I wasn’t scared, just a little dazed afterwards, and I felt really pleased that I’d done it. It was a real buzz and my cheeks were glowing.

“I’d seen wing walking teams before when I worked in air traffic control at Lydd and I thought it would be a great thing to do.”

Julie raised £1,035 for the Marden-based charity helicopter which relies almost entirely on public donations. She completed the challenge with her cousin Spencer Rolfe who was raising funds for the RNLI.

She added: “I wanted to support a local charity and the Air Ambulance do such a good job. You never know when you may need them. I’m very grateful to all my family and friends for sponsoring me.”

If you would like to make a donation to the Air Ambulance please call 01622 833833 or go to www.kssairambulance.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment