Monday, 6 October 2014

Rotary president in Merman swimathon

Photo: L-R Marika and Dave Cavell, and Whitstable Rotary Club Vocational chairman Kevin Fielding pictured on Whitstable seafront

The president of Whitstable Rotary Club is preparing for a charity swimathon next month in aid of Kent, Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance – dressed as a Merman.

Dave Cavell will take the plunge at the town’s Harbour Street pool on November 12th for the club’s Charity of the Year.

The retired police officer is planning to swim non-stop for an hour with spectators nominating him to do a backstroke, breaststroke or butterfly stroke for every fifth length.

He will be joined by fellow Rotary members and the pool’s aqua aerobics class who will be dressed as South Sea Island girls, complete with grass skirts.

Dave, 71, said: “I’m a good swimmer but sponsored swims have been done before and can be quite boring to watch.

“Thinking about it, I decided to do a swim with a difference using only my arms with my legs strapped together.

“So I decided to encase them in a fish tail and become a Merman but I can’t be a mermaid because I’m not shaving off my beard of 40 years, not even for this.”

Dave is hoping to raise £500 and can be sponsored at https://www.justgiving.com/Whitstable-Rotary-Merman/

No comments:

Post a Comment