Friday, 6 March 2015

Survivor's 4,400ft climb for air ambulance

Photo: Air Ambulance doctor Simon Wood and Liz James pictured at the Air Ambulance base at Redhill

An East Grinstead mother who almost lost her leg in a head-on car crash is to climb Britain’s highest mountain to raise funds for Kent, Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance.

School administrator Liz James, 35, was driving back to work after lunch with her family when she was involved in a collision with a lorry on Wilderwick Road.

She also suffered a broken neck and broken foot and had to be cut free from the wreckage of her car after being trapped for more than an hour.

The mother-of-three spent 10 days in hospital but has since made a full recovery and is now planning to raise funds for the charity helicopter by conquering Ben Nevis, in September.

She said: “I owe the air ambulance my life, and certainly my leg. I smashed my right leg from hip to ankle and was warned that I may never walk properly again. Complications with blood flow meant that without immediate treatment I would have lost my leg.

“Due to the amazing road-side care I received, not only did I survive but I am walking again. I am aiming to climb Ben Nevis to raise money for the air ambulance, and to thank them for their amazing work.

“Please help me to raise funds for this hugely important charity who are on hand to help us all when we need them most.”

Liz has so far raised £1,147 and can be sponsored at https://kssfitnessandchallenge.everydayhero.com/uk/LizJames

No comments:

Post a Comment