Monday, 27 July 2015

Bob hits high notes with £10,000 air ambulance lottery win

Photo: Superdraw winner Bob Ball, his grandchildren and Air Ambulance Pilot, Captain Dan Kitteridge

A Dorking pensioner is splashing out on the summer holidays for his grandchildren after winning more than £10,000 in Kent, Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance’s lottery.

Retired highways worker Bob Ball, 71, signed up to the lifesaving charity’s Superdraw when a canvasser called at his home six years ago.

He thought nothing more of his £8-a-month subscription until he received a call telling him he had won the jackpot with lucky numbers 6, 12, 14 and 36 in Wednesday’s draw.

The National Trust volunteer won a grand total of £10,533 and is now planning a canal boat trip to London Zoo from Little Venice for Layla, 10, Sonny, 7, and Kyle, 6.

They visited the air ambulance base on Friday to pick up the cheque and watched as the helicopter landed following an emergency callout.

Bob said: “It’s great that this win has come at the beginning of the summer holidays as I can take the grandchildren out and haven’t got to worry about the cost.

“It’s fantastic and I can’t believe the amount, I thought it might be a bottle of wine and I’m shocked because I never win anything. I even forgot I was in the air ambulance lottery.

“I’ve always been very keen on the air ambulance because I worked for the Highways Agency and I know how often it gets called to road accidents. Earlier this year, I was lying in a hospital bed at St George’s and I saw it land on the roof.”

Kent, Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance’s Regular Lottery costs just £1 per week and there are 12 winners drawn each week with prizes ranging from £25 to £1,000.

For an extra £1 a week, players can join the Superdraw which has a maximum jackpot of £25,000 – a life-changing amount. To join the lottery go to https://www.kssairambulance.org.uk/give/howtojoin or call 01622 833833

No comments:

Post a Comment