Monday, 21 September 2015

Air Ambulance team gear up for bike ride

Photo, L-R: Air ambulance paramedics Stu Plumbley and Richard Crabb, and Press Officer Jamie Cheshire

A team of Kent, Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance paramedics are gearing up for the lifesaving charity’s annual bike ride this weekend (September 27th).

Stu Plumbley, Richard Crabb, Lewis Price and Charles Leahy are among more than 170 riders who will be getting on their bikes for the Double 100 Cycle Challenge.

Cyclists can still enter the 100-mile or 100km ride which starts and finishes at the helicopter bases at Marden and Redhill with an alternative 25-mile route to celebrate the charity’ Silver Jubilee.

Richard, from Selsey, will be taking on his first 100km ride after losing two-and-a-half stone in just a year.

He said: “I’ve wanted to ride the Double 100 since joining the charity three years ago but each year I was working. Over the last couple of years, I’ve got into road cycling and recently completed a 50-mile charity ride around Surrey. 

“It’s only fitting that I should do this to support the charity that I have worked for over the last three years. This will be the longest distance I have ever cycled and I hope my legs are up to the challenge. 

“I'm looking forward to riding with my fellow paramedics and charity staff, and the sense of achievement at finishing. I've seen the route and I’m not looking forward to the amount of hills on it.”

Critical care paramedic Stu, from Caterham will be reunited with a former patient whose life he helped save, as they both taken on the 100-miler.

Andy Curran, 44, suffered multiple injuries after he crashed during a training ride and had to be given emergency treatment at the road-side by Stu and his colleagues

The father-of-one, from Shepperton, spent three months in hospital and missed his wedding but has since made a good recovery following the accident four years ago.

Stu will be joined in Team KSSAAT by fellow paramedics Lewis Price from Dover and Charles Leahy, and Press Officer Jamie Cheshire from Polegate.

Charles said: “I was lucky enough to complete the Double 100 two years ago and I'm looking forward to tackling it again this year even though it nearly broke me last time.

“The satisfaction of completing the distance and doing my bit to support the charity I work for is the least I can do. See you all at the start line.”

The Double 100, now in its fifth year, has been sponsored by Fidelity Worldwide Investment, Howard Cundey Chartered Surveyors and Estate Agents, and supported by Halfords, Warburtons and Bobby’s Foods.

The ride is open to regular, occasional and sportif cyclists with free lunch and refreshments provided at feeding stations along the scenic routes. The registration fee is a minimum of £15.

Riders will set off between 7am and 9am with free parking, changing and toilet facilities available at both starting points. Motorbike marshals will be riding the course throughout the day and there will also be mobile mechanics and a breakdown recovery vehicle.

To register online go to www.kssairambulance.org.uk/involved/Double100 before the Thursday (September 24th) deadline, or sign up on the day. For more information, call Julie Clare on 01622 833833, or email juliec@kssairambulance.org.uk

 

No comments:

Post a Comment