Tuesday, 1 September 2015

Birthday skydive for Lesley, 70

Photos: Lesley Banks pictured during her skydive

A retired carer celebrated her 70th birthday by jumping out of an aeroplane in a sponsored skydive for Kent, Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance.

Lesley Banks, from Horsmonden, took the plunge from 12,000ft at Headcorn Aerodrome, watched by family and friends.

She said: “It was amazing but scary because I don’t like heights, I don’t even like going up a three-step ladder. The worst bit was seeing the pair in front of me disappear out of the plane, knowing I was next.

“The instructors ask you to scream as you jump out, to let them know you’re OK, but I think I just said, ‘Wow’. It was incredible.”

Lesley had to get a “Declaration of Fitness to Parachute” from her GP before she did the jump in July.

She raised a grand total of £1,200 for the air ambulance which she presented to the pilot, doctor and paramedic during a visit to the Marden helicopter base today (Tuesday).

She added: “I saved up all my £2 coins for three years until I had enough to pay for the jump.

“The majority of people in the area support the air ambulance so I thought if I supported them, more people would sponsor me and I’d like to thank everyone who did. It’s such a worthwhile cause and I often see the helicopter fly over my house.”

No comments:

Post a Comment