Wednesday, 18 May 2016

Doctor in 100k run for air ambulance

Photo: Sarah Honess

A Kent, Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance doctor will be swapping her stethoscope for a pair of running shoes as she takes on her first ever 100k run in aid of the life-saving charity.

Sarah Honess is limbering up for the London to Brighton Challenge – one of the UK's greatest endurance events.

She has previously completed four marathons and the distance of an Ironman triathlon – a 3.8km swim, a 180km bike ride and a marathon.

But nothing will prepare her for the sheer scale of a 60-mile run on May 28th which has to be completed in 33 hours.

She said: "It's a long way and I'm hoping to complete it but I'm not worried about what time I do it in, I just want to finish it.

"It's unknown territory for me because I've never run this far before. The furthest I've run is about 30 miles in training. I ran from my home in Angmering to Brighton and back.

"After running marathons and lots of triathlons I started looking for something else to do and an ultra marathon is the next step. I'm going to set off at 6.30am and I'd like to finish it in 12 to 15 hours.

"To get me through it, I'm just going to think of it as two slow marathons and a bit on top. I know my body can cope with 15 hours of exercise as that's how long it took me to do the distance of an Ironman."

Sarah joined the air ambulance on a 13-month secondment from the Royal Sussex County Hospital at Brighton where she was an A&E registrar.

After being on the receiving end, she now delivers patients to the Major Trauma Centre.

Sarah is nearing the end of her tour of duty and will be clocking on for a 12-hour night shift just a day after her epic run.

She added:  "It's a charity close to my heart and it's good to raise not only vital funds but awareness that it is a charity because a lot of people still don't know that. It's a no-brainer really.

"I got into running in 2000 when I saw a 90-year-old running the London Marathon and thought that if he could do it, so could I. I've also run the Paris, New York and Brighton marathons."

Sarah has so far raised £543 and can be sponsored at www.justgiving.com/sarah-honess or text AIR to 70300 to make a one-off £3 donation to Kent, Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance (plus your standard network messaging rate).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment